Pages

13 August 2011

Back to Blogging

I finished my dissertation this week and freed up all this lovely time to actually get back to blogging. I had this grand intention of posting about the wonderful sense of excitement having finished a big project followed by the utterly gut-wrenching pain of searching for something else deemed sensible and productive to occupy my time. But before I even began tapping away at it, when the idea was still a tiny thought in my cluttered mind, I decided that not only was it completely depressing, but also rather boring. So I've changed my mind and decided to post on something entirely less emotional and somewhat uncharacteristic of me: sport.

Now, I'm not really a sport-person. But I felt compelled to create this post for three reasons: a very random dream, a blog post by Stephen Fry, and England's majestic cricket performance over the past few days.

First: DREAM
I'm in a very crowded pub and having great difficulty getting the bartender's attention. He's a big, burly Hells Angles type who doesn't seem the slightest bit interested in serving the hundreds of thirsty [drunk] people shouting orders at him. Finally he walks towards me with a full pint of something gold and shiny and delicious but gives it to some man standing next to me! This man is Jenson Button. I am SO angry that he has been given my pint! SO shocked that I've been standing next to Jenson Button all this time without realising! SO annoyed with the shouting crowds of drunks! and Jenson Button is just standing there looking at me like he expects me to say something but I just cannot find words. What do you want me to say to you drink-stealing, crowd-enraging Jenson Button?!? Then I find words: "Are you happy with your dandruff shampoo?"
Taken from here: http://f1wag.blogspot.com/2011/05/so-tell-me-jenson-whats-on-your-mind.html

Then: FRY
Today the marvelous Stephen Fry blogged about his paradoxical love of sport. You can read his brilliant post here:
http://www.stephenfry.com/2011/08/13/open-letter-to-all-who-despise-sport/
 Basically, I take everything that Stephen says to be the gospel truth. For instance, you do NOT have more than 150 friends, despite what your Facebook might tell you. Gaga is a sincere and talented artist. Your head weighs about 12lbs (unless you are Dara O'Briain). In this post, Fry argues that Norwich City is the best, most worthy, most pure football club in the country. Fine, I'll take your word, Stephen. I have absolutely no interest in football whatsoever and this assertion has minimal impact on my life. But I have a feeling, an inkling, a tiny little suspicion that some people might tend to disagree.

Taken from here: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/0cca76f0-873a-11e0-b983-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1UuEknmGx

Finally: CRICKET
I really don't follow sports. Any of them. Most I genuinely do not care about. There are two sports that I thoroughly enjoy: Cricket and Tennis. Cricket, I love first because I have a national and cultural attachment to the sport in the West Indies as a unifying force for the islands (also a pretty good day out at Kensington). There is also my completely unbiased recognition of cricket as the best game ever invented or played by human kind, ever. That said, over the past few days there has been some of the greatest cricket I've seen. England is completely dominating the India on their way to becoming the best test team in the world. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not switching alliances, I am not trading out my own national team for Strauss and company. No, I'm merely acknowledging and congratulating the England boys on a job well done. Of course, it isn't done yet. The excitement continues. So if you haven't seen any of it yet, find a tv/radio/newspaper/website that will update you on the brilliance of the game.
Taken from here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/default.stm


No comments:

Post a Comment